shutterstock_258700379.jpg
White Noise on Black Background

MEETING MINUTES

Wood Rings

February 3rd 2021

Attendance (teleconferencing): Rory, Katy, Nikki, Charlotte, India, Damon, Clara

 

Agenda: Land Acknowledgments, Meet and Greet Budget Vote and Planning, P/F Grading, Interdepartmental Meeting Update, UEC Update, Merchandise Ideas, Council Representative Search, Tasks for Execs

 

The Archaeology Student Society respectfully acknowledges the Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh, Katzie and Kwikwetlem nations on whose ancestral, traditional and unceded territories we are privileged to live, work and play.

 

Meet and Greet Budget Voting

 

  • Applying for a $500 SFSS Grant for our virtual Meet and Greet: Forwarded by Rory, Seconded by Damon; Unanimous Vote YES

 

  • Spending $100 FROM THE GRANT to upgrade our Gather Meet and Greet space. Forwarded by Rory, Seconded by Damon; Unanimous Vote YES

 

  • We will contribute $100 of the $500 from our Core, allocated to beverage gift cards

  • $100 of the grant will go to our Gather space (upgrade to host up to 50 people)

  • The other $300 will go to door prizes and food gift cards

 

Virtual Meet and Greet Planning

 

  • Potential dates: Sat March 6th, Fri March 12th, Sat March 13th. We will submit these to the SFSS and poll our membership about them.

  • Door prizes:

    • One grand prize, three big prizes, lots of small prizes

    • Winners to be selected with a random number generator

    • Prize ideas: Individual food and beverage gift cards. Archaeology gear gift cards such as Deakin and Amazon

 

P/F Grading System Update

 

  • Vote to write a letter and create a petition to extend Pass/Fail grading within the Archaeology Department: Forwarded by Clara, Seconded by Charlotte; Unanimous Vote YES.

 

  • In the SFSS meeting, Clara learned Hugo could extend the Pass/Fail Grading System for the Archaeology Department

  • This would mean P/F grading can be applied to required courses as well as electives

  • The ASS will need the support of other archaeology undergrads via a petition. We will advertise this petition in classes.

  • Rory will ask Anuki if she knows of DSUs that have written letters, Evie will investigate other DSU’s actions in her meetings, India will research other DSU letter templates

 

Interdepartmental Meeting Updates

 

  • Evie notes this meeting will now be called the “Welcome Team Meeting” (includes FROSH leaders, EnvironMentors, DSU representatives)

  • Instead of a Career Night this term, the Faculty of Environment will create a career-related podcast called “The Green Collar”

  • Sprout Zoom Socials for new students will be starting this March

    • Contact Donna Dove (ddove@sfu.ca) if you’re interested in helping with these

 

UEC (Undergraduate Executive Committee) Update

 

  • Changes to the Archaeology major are supposed to take effect this summer, such as splitting ARCH 471 (Theory) into two courses

  • A possible new Geography, Climate and Society Minor could include some archaeology courses

  • Dr. Yang wants to change the title of ARCH 383 from “Molecular Bioarchaeology” to the less intimidating “Ancient and Forensic DNA”

 

Merchandise Ideas

 

  • T-shirts: Advertise a design at the Meet and Greet so folks can place their orders

  • A.S.S. face masks, travel mugs, or water bottles are all popular ideas

  • Nikki has been working on a calendar, this could work for 2022

  • We will vote another time on how much we’re going to spend on merch

 

SFSS Council Representative Search

 

  • Henry and Damon are possible candidates

  • The bi-weekly meetings are at 4:30 PM on Wednesdays

  • Relevant excerpt: “Councillors are elected [in February or March] for a period of May 1st to April 30th of the following year” (see SFSS By-Laws 5, 6, and 10)

 

Tasks for Executives

  • Our new Constitution will be drafted ASAP by India, Katy, and Rory. An emergency meeting (with at least the core four execs) will be held to vote on the draft

  • Notify the SFSS about Brian being our new Treasurer

Wood Panel

January 20th 2021

Attendance (teleconferencing): Rory, Katy, Nikki, Charlotte, India, Clara, Damon, Brian

 

Agenda: Land Acknowledgments, Voting, Recap of Recent Events, Spring Meet and Greet Ideas, Feb 5th Craft Night, Other Event Ideas, Tasks for Execs

 

The Archaeology Student Society respectfully acknowledges the Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh, Katzie and Kwikwetlem nations on whose ancestral, traditional and unceded territories we are privileged to live, work and play.

 

Voting

  • Treasurer: Brian Connolly; Forwarded by Rory, Seconded by India; Unanimous Vote YES

 

Recap of Recent Events

 

  • Our Winter Break Social Night (on Gather) was fun, with some new attendees

    • Rory to reimburse themselves (from our trust) for the Gather upgrade

  • This virtual Clubs Day was a roaring success! Two people came

 

Spring Meet and Greet Ideas

 

  • Give at least a month’s notice so we can get more grad students and professors

  • Call it “Virtual Meet and Greet” (to capitalize on past popularity)

  • The promo should mention beverages

  • We will need a big Gather room again (we will apply for an SFSS grant)

  • Gift cards as prizes for attendees

  • Think about how to entice the Department to attend

    • Advertise in classes

    • Include trivia or other competitions

 

Craft Night Feb 5th

 

  • We are hosting a Craft Night on February 5th at 6 PM (on Zoom)

  • People to bring their own supplies

  • Normal crafts like knitting or painting, or archaeology crafts like:

    • Carving Venus figurines and lithics out of soap

    • Modelling ruins with play-dough

    • Replicating cave paintings

 

 

 Other Event Ideas

 

  • Reading Break Netflix / Watch Party

    • Indiana Jones beverage game. Otherwise, simply meme sharing time

  • Interdepartmental Trivia Night

    • Or another such activity that takes off the pressure of socializing with strangers

  • Among Us night

    • Perhaps on Discord, which can have up to 10 people per room

  • Possible scavenger hunt / outdoor event in March

 

Tasks for Execs

 

  • All execs to plan Meet and Greet date via Messenger, possibly polling students in the Facebook group

    • Brian to be notified of the date via Discord

 

  • Constitution to be edited to reflect Council Rep and other position changes

    • Rory, Katy, and India to work on a draft (ideally finishing it before Feb)

 

  • We need to find a third or fourth-year student to be Council Rep for the whole year

    • This is because of the new SFSS by-law.

    • Relevant excerpt: “Councillors are elected [in February or March] for a period of May 1st to April 30th of the following year” (see SFSS By-Laws 5, 6, and 10)

Wood Rings

December 27th 2020

Agenda: 1) Vote on using grant money for Virtual Pub Night


Attendance (Teleconferencing): Nikki Simon, Rory Doucette, Charlotte Taylor, Clara Wilmot, India Neville, Evangeline Lapalme, Katy Au

The Archaeology Student Society respectfully acknowledges the Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh, Katzie and Kwikwetlem nations on whose ancestral, traditional and unceded territories we are privileged to live, work and play.

1) Vote on using grant money for Virtual Pub Night
• Using Gather app as hosting platform
   o Free account has limit of 25 attendees o Vote to use $100 from grant on paid version to accommodate as many attendees as possible
      ▪ UNANIMOUS VOTE YES. FORWARDED BY RORY. SECONDED BY CHARLOTTE

Wood Panel

December 8th 2020

Attendance (teleconferencing): Rory, Katy, Clara, Evie

 

Agenda: Land Acknowledgements, Discussion of Save Our Space Campaign, Vote to support Save Our Space

 

The Archaeology Student Society respectfully acknowledges the Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh, Katzie and Kwikwetlem nations on whose ancestral, traditional and unceded territories we are privileged to live, work and play.

 

Save Our Space Campaign

 

  • Some DSUs (such as the BESU and EVSCSU) are losing their space on campus

  • This campaign is to ensure DSUs are notified and consulted ahead of time if anything should happen with their space, and that they have adequate and accessible space for their activities

  • If we choose to support the campaign, a document in favour of it will be circulated for the ASS to sign. The signed document will be sent to the Department Chair (Hugo)

 

Save Our Space Campaign Vote

  • Vote to support the Save Our Space Campaign. Forwarded by Rory, Seconded by Clara; Unanimous Vote YES

Wood Rings

November 24th 2020

Attendance (teleconferencing): Rory, Katy, Kym, India, Evie, Damon, Nikki

 

Agenda: Land Acknowledgements, Next Game Night, SFSS Council Meeting, Debitage Hosting, Future Event Ideas, Action Items for Execs

 

The Archaeology Student Society respectfully acknowledges the Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh, Katzie and Kwikwetlem nations on whose ancestral, traditional and unceded territories we are privileged to live, work and play.

 

Next Game Night

  • We will be hosting virtual game nights next week at the following times:

  • Tuesday, December 1st at 6 PM

  • Wednesday, December 2nd at 7 PM

 

SFSS Council Meeting

  • The Environmental Science Student Union is still looking for a new space. The SFSS is raising concerns about the loss of DSU spaces

  • The SFSS is also protesting the proposed tuition hike, calling for a tuition freeze:

    • Make your concerns heard at the SFU Budget Information Sessions

    • The next one is Nov 30th from 2:30 – 4:00 PM. You should have an e-mail with the Zoom information

 

Debitage Hosting

  • Our website, the Debitage, is currently hosted on Weebly. This is not ideal due to a lack of automatic SEO (search engine optimization), among other issues

  • Possibility of Damon switching platforms

  • We will consider using our funds to switch to a paid Wix site

 

Possible Future Events

This term:

  • Celebratory virtual social night after exams

 

Possibilities for next term:

  • Movie night (professors critique Indiana Jones)

  • Info nights / Zoom with the profs

  • Possible photo contest (find something archaeology-related near you). Could involve outdoor features like culturally modified trees

  • Trivia Night (department-wide) because we can’t do the Palaeolympics

    • Team-based, look into platforms for this

 

Action Items for Execs

  • Everyone who has the time: Research quiz platforms before the next ASS meeting

    • Ideally, we’d be able to have team discussions but still have everyone doing the same quiz

  • Nikki to create a graphic and blurb introducing the ASS to incoming Spring students. This will be included in an e-mail with all the other FEnv DSUs

  • Evie to message Caitlin so we can get our BESU Halloween Event donation processed

  • Less urgently: Kym and Rory to review our finances and see if we have funds for a new Debitage site

Wood Panel

November 10th 2020

Attendance (teleconferencing): Rory, Katy, Charlotte, Evie, Damon, Nikki, India

 

Agenda: Land Acknowledgments, BESU Donation Vote, Arch Department Meeting, UEC Notes, Interdepartmental Meeting

 

The Archaeology Student Society respectfully acknowledges the Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh, Katzie and Kwikwetlem nations on whose ancestral, traditional and unceded territories we are privileged to live, work and play.

 

BESU Donation Vote

  • Donate $39.45 from our trust to the BESU for their Halloween event. Forwarded by Rory, Seconded by Damon; Unanimous Vote YES

 

Arch Department Meeting

  • The Brian Williamson Award is changing. It will be bigger (more money available), though the current adjudication will not change

  • Donna Dove (from the Faculty of Environment) is looking for Archaeology student ambassadors for virtual recruitment events. The ambassadors will talk about their student experiences at events aimed at high school students

  • The Archaeology major can be used as a pre-req to get into the PDP (teacher education program)

 

Undergraduate Executive Committee Meeting

  • SFU is re-evaluating the WQB system. If you have opinions on the WQB system, let the A.S.S. know and Rory will bring them to the next UEC meeting

    • Our ideas so far: Could replace it with “take X units outside of your subject area” or “X units of science and X units of English”

  • CODE (fully online) courses are being overhauled and will look completely different in a few years.

  • Archaeology will try to offer their first-year courses (100, 131) fully online on evenings or weekends at least once per year

  • SFU NOW (continuing education) will be dissolved in its current form / is also being overhauled

  • Until 2022, SFU will be offering the option to do online classes in some format for students that need it

 

Interdepartmental Meeting

  • The EnvironMentors program (FEnv peer mentorship) is always recruiting mentors and will be running next term

  • BESU and EVSCSU are being evicted from their current room and told they can get rooms in the new SUB. However, they are competing with other DSUs for this new space. The SFSS will be addressing this space issue and we can support them in this

Wood Rings

October 20th 2020

Attendance (teleconferencing): Rory, Katy, Damon, Nikki, Clara

 

Agenda: Land Acknowledgments, Voting, Upcoming Game Night, Next A.S.S. Meeting

 

The Archaeology Student Society respectfully acknowledges the Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh, Katzie and Kwikwetlem nations on whose ancestral, traditional and unceded territories we are privileged to live, work and play.

 

Voting:

  • Council Representative: Clara Wilmot; Forwarded by Rory, Seconded by Katy; Majority Vote YES

 

Upcoming Game Night:

  • We are having a virtual game night on Tues October 27th at 5 PM (next week!)

 

Next Meeting:

  • The next ASS meeting will be in early November (date TBD)

Wood Panel

September 29th 2020

Attendance (teleconferencing): Rory, Katy, Kym, India, Charlotte, Damon, Nikki, Hugo (Archaeology Department Chair)

 

Agenda: Land Acknowledgements, Introductions, Undergrad Questions, Chair’s Goals for the A.S.S., Questions for the Chair

 

The Archaeology Student Society respectfully acknowledges the Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh, Katzie and Kwikwetlem nations on whose ancestral, traditional and unceded territories we are privileged to live, work and play.

 

Introductions:

  • Dr. Hugo Cardoso introduced himself as the new Chair of the Archaeology Department

  • Execs all introduced themselves

 

Undergrad Questions this term:

  • Hugo is happy to answer undergrad questions about the department

  • The A.S.S. can e-mail him or the Chair’s Assistant with these concerns as the term progresses

 

Goals for the A.S.S.:

  • Hugo would like to have at least one meeting with ASS execs per term

    • Getting a sense of undergrad concerns & thoughts about the Department

 

  • Upcoming 50th anniversary of the Department

    • The plan is to start a webpage that highlights the story of the Department (to be done by end of 2020)

    • All in-person / major celebrations postponed until things are “back to normal”

    • Hugo is putting together a Celebrations Committee to plan the online events

    • Looking for one or two ASS Execs to be on the Celebrations Committee

    • We don’t have to decide now, but think about it

 

  • Creating a sense of connection between students, faculty, and staff

    • Hopes the A.S.S. can put on virtual events

    • Bringing students & faculty together like Palaeolympics normally would

 

A.S.S. Questions for the Chair:

  • Mentioned trouble filling Council Rep position

    • We need to fill this by or during Spring as per SFSS bylaws

    • Charlotte could maybe become Council Rep, but we would need a new Interdepartmental Liaison

    • Rory to reach out to Meet and Greet student contacts if necessary

 

  • Using the ASS room this term

    • Rory to send Hugo an e-mail so he can help start the process for Exec access

    • Max 1 person at a time, cleaning after we leave

    • Basically need sign-in sheets and protocols in place

Wood Rings

September 15th 2020

Agenda: 1) Voting for executive positions, 2) Housekeeping, 3) Virtual events brainstorm

 

Attendance (Teleconferencing): Madi, Nikki, Rory, Katy, India, Kym, Raine, Evie, Charlotte, Damon, Remy, Bhavika

 

The Archaeology Student Society respectfully acknowledges the Musqueam, Squamish, TsleilWaututh, Katzie and Kwikwetlem nations on whose ancestral, traditional and unceded territories we are privileged to live, work and play.

 

1) Voting for executive positions

President – Rory MAJORITY VOTE YES

• Vice President – Katy MAJORITY VOTE YES

• Treasurer – Kym MAJORITY VOTE YES

• Secretary – India MAJORITY VOTE YES

• Social Media Coordinator – Nikki MAJORITY VOTE YES

• Interdepartmental Liason – Charlotte MAJORITY VOTE YES

• Faculty Liason – Evie MAJORITY VOTE YES

• Debitage Editor – Unfilled

• Council Member – Unfilled

 

2) Housekeeping

• Keys for ASS office:

       o Would like keys: India, Charlotte

       o Already has keys: Kym, Katy, and Rory

       o 2 available keys kept at office

• Meeting Hugo (new archaeology department chair) o Set up time for meeting with ASS

 

3) Virtual events brainstorm

• New semester welcome event o SFSS will partner with and fund student union for events open to entire school o ASS would like to take advantage of this opportunity

     ▪ Suggestion: Archaeology themed movie night (e.g. Indiana Jones) followed by Q&A session with professors and/or grad students (e.g. on debunking archaeology in Indiana Jones)

     ▪ We must provide existing copy of movie. Streaming services are off limits. • Game nights/hang outs o Suggestions: Kahoot!, Jackbox, karaoke, drinking game movie night

• Virtual workshops

     o The Future of CRM Discussion Panel and Q&A

     ▪ Possible topics: CRM work and ethics in BC, racial sensitivity and inclusivity

     ▪ Panelists (to be confirmed)

     o First Aid training

     ▪ In search of company which will provide virtual training

     • Online fundraising initiative

     o To replace fall meet and greet which used to be our main fundraising event

    o Suggestion: ASS Merch. We need artists! o Searching for additional suggestions